Open everyday except Christmas and Thanksgiving 10 am – 6 pm
The Montague Bookmill is a used bookstore housed in an 1842 gristmill, set on the banks of the Sawmill River, a few miles north of Amherst and Northampton, Massachusetts.
Our collection leans toward the academic, but we have thousands of books, on just about everything from Austen and anarchy to Zola and zoology. Our books are generally half-price, including recent publisher’s overstocks. Don’t look for our catalogue on line; we’re not that bookstore. But if we can’t find the book you’re looking for, we’ll find you a better one you didn’t know you wanted.
The Montague Mill is also home to Sawmill River Arts and the newest outpost of the Turn It Up! music and movie empire. There is great food and drink all day and deep into the night at the astonishing Lady Killigrew Cafe. And downstairs is the fantastic Alvah Stone Restaurant and Bar. If you were dining any closer to the water there would be fish in your lap.
We have concerts and performances spring, summer and fall. The Bookmill and its environs are an amazing and lovely place where you can lose yourself for hours. We’ve been lost here for years.
- Katherine Brooks @huffingtonpost says we are one of the 50 best indie bookstores in America …but no rooms for rent, sorry!
- Salon.com They say we’re one of the “world’s most inspiring bookstores.” Aw, shucks.
- Los Angeles Times
- Photo Tour – Publisher’s Weekly An entirely unsolicited, yet exceptional, guided Photo Tour by Alison Morris of Publisher’s Weekly.
- The Boston Globe – Slide show
- The Boston Globe – New review!
- The New York Times